“How does one become a butterfly?" she asked. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.” Trina Paulus

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Kickboxing, my butt!

So I committed to 3 days a week at the gym (today was day 3-so anything else is bonus) I went to Kickboxing today (I've been a couple times since I joined the gym a little over a month ago) but here's what I learned today....

1. The other times I went the class was small, note to self don't be late cuz you don't get a punching bag...
2. The plus is that you get to pair up with a stranger and make new acquaintances...I'm not good at that at 5:30 am...
3. Keeping track of punching and kicking and squatting keeps my mind too busy to do its regular self deprecating damage...
4. I got to partner with a older guy who used to train boxers and by older guy I mean...he might be my age, but I'm in denial...
5. My first time he gave me some gloves to wear which was sweet, but had me freaked out the whole time as I sweat in them (I have my own awesome kickboxing gloves now...
6. As he gave me advice about punching and weight distribution for the strongest punches without wearing myself out, I thought I really could have used this advice in 1992 when I was getting my ass kicked on a regular basis and in particular the time I was drug by my hair to the college lawn down the street from my house by the current boyfriend at the time...I think my self taught street self defense wasn't quite as impressive as the tips this guy was giving me today....
7. I felt strong in this class today...and while I still struggle with the mirror at times... I made a commitment to myself that its not about the weight I lose (although i have some built in rewards for that too - the 5lb increments I buy a new sports bra/top the 10 lb increments I buy new workout shorts at 50 lbs i buy new workout shoes---and any donations are accepted for the workout fund--just sayin)  but my real goal is to feel healthy and empowered...working out got me feeling strong enough to leave my first abusive relationship ---although I'm a slow learner and got into a crazier one a little while later) I am leaning on my workout and new gained strength to propel me forward again. 
8. As I did lunges at the end of class today, I looked in the mirror at my legs (that I have in the past been kinda proud of) and I remembered a quote from Michelangelo "I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free" and that's how I feel about my legs (body) I see the muscles hidden and I'm carving until I set my body free.  
8. Lastly my new boxing friend as I left "Use your new powers for good" and I smiled and said "oh I shall, I shall"  

No comments:

Post a Comment