“How does one become a butterfly?" she asked. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.” Trina Paulus

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

From Pumpkin Bagels to Beauty Pageants (and maybe a Mammogram in between)


Some days when I get to the end of the day, it seems like the morning was weeks away… I started the day trying not to beat myself up and I ended the day with tears of pride in my eyes at the courage and charisma of one amazing young lady….Rewind to one year ago when this spunky little firecracker walked into my office…she wanted to be a Big Sister and she was running for Miss Dixie (Homecoming Queen at DSU)…and she wanted Big Brothers Big Sisters to be her platform….We talked about her apprehension and her anxiety…. But she faced her fears and she worked her heart out, and she was crowned Miss Dixie 2013-14
The past year I’ve watched her dance her way through many obstacles…she has stepped into the role of recruiting and sharing the BBBS message, she has been an outstanding Big Sister…her Little has become like a real little sister.  I have seen Shaelie shine when they are together… and I’ve seen her Little become more confident and sure of her own value… I’ve been involved in many events over the last 12 months, and every time I ask her to come and support…she has never hesitated.  I love when she wears her crown, she shines like the jewels on her head…she has done the crown proud.  I love to watch the children want to be near her, and have their pictures taken with the “princess”, the way she makes each child feel important and special…and come to think of it, that’s how she makes everyone around her feel.  She has that special spark inside her that outshines even the jewels in her crown. 

Tonight as I watched her on the stage, I couldn't help but smile….she was in her element…she was pure joy… knowing her, I knew she felt vulnerable, but she stepped into the arena… She danced with grace, she spoke with confidence and humor, she sang with rich melody…. I thought tonight of that sweet spunky girl I met a year ago and although I could see her peek out in certain moments, the young woman I watched tonight had grown into a polished beautiful queen.  And as I know giving up the crown brings much apprehension and is bitter sweet, I know the real crown she wears is never gone… she has much light to bring this world and many lives to touch… and though it might not be visible to the ordinary eye, the crown she wears still sparkles brightly beyond even her own comprehension.  

No comments:

Post a Comment